NOTICE!

SKIP'S HOUSE OF CHAOS IS BACK!

After a 9-month unavoidable absence, the original Skip's House of Chaos is back online. From now until December 31, both it and Chaos Unbridled (this one) will run concurrently. As of January 1, 2016, this site will become inactive (but all previous posts will remain available), and all new posts will be solely on the new (old) site.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

True story...

When I was in the Navy, I was stationed aboard the USS Proteus.  After a particularly hectic week, I was looking forward to liberty ashore for the weekend.  As I was about to leave the ship, I followed protocol and first saluted the ensign (the US Flag), then turned to the Officer of the Deck (who, in this case, was also an ensign - not much older than I was), saluted, and said, "Request permission to go ashore, sir!"

He looked at me disdainfully and said, "Your hair is too long. Go below and get a haircut!"

I didn't know what to do. The ship's barbershop was closed, and there was no way I was going to trust any of my shipmates to give me a proper grooming. Quite the conundrum.

So, after about a half an hour, I went back to the gangplank, saluted the flag, then turned to the OOD, saluted and said, "Request permission to go ashore, sir! How do my shoes look NOW?"

He looked down at the freshly-polished shoes, returned my salute and said, "Much better. Permission granted."

1 comment: