NOTICE!

SKIP'S HOUSE OF CHAOS IS BACK!

After a 9-month unavoidable absence, the original Skip's House of Chaos is back online. From now until December 31, both it and Chaos Unbridled (this one) will run concurrently. As of January 1, 2016, this site will become inactive (but all previous posts will remain available), and all new posts will be solely on the new (old) site.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

The English Language is Nuts

15 Grammatically Correct Sentences That 
Prove How Crazy the English Language Is


1. All the faith he had had had had no effect on his life.

2. Wouldn't the sentence, "I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign" have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?

3. The old man the boats.

4. Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

5. Whether the weather be fine
    Or whether the weather be not
    Whether the weather be cold
    Or whether the weather be hot
    We'll weather the weather
    Whatever the weather
    Whether we like it or not.

6. You have just begun reading the sentence you just finished reading.

7. One-one was a race horse.
    Two-two was one two.
    One-one won one race.
    Two-two won one too.

8. The horse raced past the barn fell.

9. I sometimes read read as read, when it's supposed to be read as read.

10. Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
           Okay, let's break that one down. What it's saying is, essentially, 
             "Bison from Buffalo, New York, who are intimidated by other 
              bison in their community, also happen to intimidate other bison 
              in their community.

11. "I see," said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

12. One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas; how he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.

13. James and Billy were asked to write about their weekend. Billy wrote, "I had had some ice cream over the weekend."  James wrote, "I had had some ice cream over the weekend." James, while Billy had had had, had had had had. "Had had" had been the correct answer.

14. "I never said she stole my money."
          If you place an emphasis one one word at a time, it changes the meaning
          *I* never said she stole my money.
          I *never* said she stole my money.
          I never *said* she stole my money.

15. Have you ever noticed that read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead? Also, read and lead don't rhyme. Neither do read and lead.


(via)

No comments:

Post a Comment